Industrial Approval Appeal
Northern Pulp is appealing its IA (Industrial Approval) as part of the process as outlined by Nova Scotia Environment under the Environment Act. To learn more about the appeal, please view the appeal document as well as supporting third party documentation below.
Northern Pulp Appeal Document
Northern Pulp Appeal Letter
The appeal by Northern Pulp includes significant areas of concern, such as:
- The IA was significantly different from the previous IA and contained major, new requirements in many areas and provisions that are currently impossible to meet.
- The IA ignored the currently in place agreements with the Province, their obligations to the Mill, resulting in provisions that are inconsistent with these obligations.
- The IA places unnecessary restrictions on the management of the effluent treatment facility that Northern Pulp manages on behalf of the Department of Internal Services, including an interdiction to making any improvements or additions to the site without any explanation as to why this is necessary or how this enhances environmental protection.
- The IA required significant expenditures by the mill that do not improve the Mill’s operation, result in no or little environmental protection, and for which there are in place long-standing processes that had been functioning without incident.
- The IA contained provisions with no apparent connection to environmental protection that impose restrictions on the operation of the mill. While there do exist in other jurisdictions limitations on production increases, these are always in the context that such increases must fully meet the regulatory requirements of the IA. There is no such linkage in the current IA and, as such go beyond the mandate and scope of the Department.